there's gotta be more to life than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me



If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Don't effin' blame the chef!

Monday, September 19, 2005

A True Josephian VS. Tunay na Iska

THE TRUE JOSEPHIAN

The unbelievable happened yesterday. I was getting ready to leave Pasig to go home to Las Piñas when Bob Marley sang Jammin' to an unregistered number. I answered and TENTENTENEN!!! It's Marlin.

We agreed to meet up at St. Jo after she said her prayers and head to Starbucks.

I was amazed at the renovations done on the buildings of my beloved Alma Mater. The structures that witnessed 11 years of my life were modernized. Atop the diamond building, a huge banner that reads "A TRUE JOSEPHIAN SPEAKS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE" is hanging.

I turned to Em and said, "Ngunit pano `yon? Ang tunay na estudyante ng Unibersidad ng Pilipinas ay tinatangkilik ang wikang Filipino."

The English-speaking drive in our school started in `94. We were not allowed to speak Filipino inside the campus except during Filipino and HEKASI classes. If I remember correctly, there was a penalty of a peso per Filipino word uttered which went to the class fund. Thankfully, this ridiculous [and rather futile] attempt at training the students speak proper english was forgotten by the time I reached high school.

Why didn't anyone ever think of a Filipino-speaking drive? Must we not be trained to master our own language before moving on to a foreign one? Either way, bottom line is that nobody cared to accustom us to a single particular language. It would be stating the obvious to say that majority of Filipinos, myself included, best express ourselves using the language that unwittingly bridged the West and the East and, technically, has become our vernacular - TAGLISH.

Of the two, though, I am shamed to admit that I'd sweat blood if I were forced to speak straight Filipino while I could speak straight English without breaking a sweat. So much for patriotism.

How about you? Can you carry a conversation in Filipino without using a single foreign word like cellphone, nail polish and bag? Can you carry a conversation in English without using a single native word like kase, pero and ano?

ANG TUNAY NA ISKA

May di kapani-paniwalang pangyayari na naganap kahapon. Naghahanda na akong umalis ng Pasig upang umuwi sa Las Piñas nang kumanta si Bob Marley ng Jammin' dulot ng isang di kilalang numero. Sinagot ko at TENTENTENEN!!! Si Marlin pala ang tumawag.

Nagkasundo kaming magkita sa St. Jo pagkatapos niyang magdasal at magpunta ng Starbucks.

Namangha ako sa mga pagbabagong ginawa sa mga gusali ng aking pinakamamahal na paaralan. Inalinsunod sa makabagong panahon ang mga istrukturang sumaksi sa labing isang taon ng aking buhay. Sa tuktok ng tinatawag na Diamond Building, isang malaking banner ang nagpapahay na "A TRUE JOSEPHIAN SPEAKS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE".

Lumingon ako kay Em at sinabing, "Ngunit pano `yon? Ang tunay na estudyante ng Unibersidad ng Pilipinas ay tinatangkilik ang wikang Filipino."

Nagumpisa ang alituntuning pagsasalita ng Ingles sa aming paaralan noong `94. Hindi kame maaaring magsalita ng Filipino sa loob ng eskwelahan bukod na lamang sa mga klase ng Filipino at HEKASI. Kung tama ang aking pagkakaalala, merong multa ng piso sa bawat Filipinong salitang mabibigkas na napunta sa laang salapi ng klase. Malaki ang aking pasasalamat dahil ang katawa-tawang [at may pagka-walang saysay na] tangkang sanayin ang mga estudyante na magsalita ng tamang ingles ay nakalimutan na nung panahong ako'y pumasok ng mataas na paaralan.

Bakit walang nakaisip ng alituntuning pagsasalita ng Filipino? Hindi ba dapat na sanayin muna tayo sa ganap na kaalaman ng ating sariling wika bago lumipat sa banyagang wika? Ano pa man, ang nararapat na talakayin dito ay walang naghinanakit na ihilig tayo sa isang natatanging wika. Babanggitin ko lamang ang malinaw na nakikita kung aking sasabihin na karamihan sa atin, kasama na ang aking sarili, ay mas maayos na naipapahayag ang ating sarili gamit ang wikang walang katulinan sa pag-unawa na nakapagugnay ng Kanluran at Silangan at kung tutuusin ay ating naging lokal na wika - ang TAGLISH.

Sa dalawa, gayunpaman, nakahihiyang aminin na magpapawis ako ng dugo kung ako'y pinilit na magsalita ng tuwid na Filipino ngunit kaya ko'ng magsalita ng tuwid na Ingles ng hindi man lang pinapawisan. Hayan na nga ba ang pagiging makabayan.

Ikaw? Kaya mo bang magdala ng usapan sa Filipino na hindi gumagamit ng kahit isang wikang banyaga gaya ng cellphone, nail polish at bag? Kaya mo bang magdala ng usapan sa Ingles na hindi gumagamit ng kahit isang wikang katutubo gaya ng kase, pero at ano?

========================
Dang! Such a fine feat it was translating all that. So, I guess I'm not a reputable Iskolar ng Bayan. Blame it on SJA. *belat*


******************************
*.* as if! @ 4:02:00 PM • • RBJ

 


I'll be seeing you. Goodnight.

Find me here:

friendsterated

Palabras Finales

Remember me when you hear this

sleeps with butterflies ~ tori amos



Airplanes take you away again
Are you flying
Above where we live?
Then I look up a glare in my eyes
Are you having regrets about last night?
I'm not but I like rivers that rush in
So then I dove in
Is there trouble ahead
For you the acrobat?
I won't push you unless you have a net


You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don't mind
I don't hold on
To the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl only sleeps with butterflies
With butterflies
So go on and fly then boy


Balloons
Look good from on the ground
I fear with pins and needles around
We may fall then stumble
Upon a carousel
It could take us anywhere

You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don't mind
I don't hold on
To the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl, this girl

You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don't mind
I don't hold on
To the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl only sleeps with butterflies
With butterflies
With butterflies
So go on and fly boy


miss me? spot me here:

be listed

Bury the Hatchet

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

online

This 
page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Who Links Here

®fLoi enjoy 2005©