there's gotta be more to life than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me



If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Don't effin' blame the chef!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Shoes and Slippers

I went to the doc yesterday and I came out clean. In reward, I bought me red Dorothy of Oz stilletos. *bliss* Shoes are a girl's best friend.

In the hit movie Got 2 Believe starring the late Rico Yan and the fabulous Claudine Barretto, Yan played a successful bachelor terrified of the idea of marriage while Baretto played a consistent achiever doomed to being eternal maid of honor due to her feistiness.

In one of the scenes where his budding emotions for Barretto started to become apparent, Yan shared his concerns about marriage to Barretto's father played by Noel Trinidad.

Trinidad advised that a wife is similar to house slippers. A man may wear the most expensive shoes when going places but at the end of the day, he still goes home to his snug house slippers. Yan appeared to have appeased his apprehensions toward a lifetime ball and chains.

Would any cosmo girl be concordant to this analogy? I wouldn't. I don't find it flattering to be likened to footwear only worn when the rest of the world is out of the scene. I deserve to be flaunted, to be swanked because I consider myself swanky. I refuse to be a simple housewife at home waiting all day for her working husband, attending to household chores.

I am not alone. A relatively larger percentage of women in this generation than in the past share these sentiments. Urbane women now rarely give up their social life, career and interests for those of their husbands, much less their boyfriends. We have come to a point where boyfriends are more dispensable than our make-up. Make-up won't keep us warm at night, but neither can men when they are out flirting with other girls giving us the classic "working late" excuse.

Sadly though, majority is still willing to wait in the sidelines as their men re-affirm their machismo by pursuing other women. Is it because they are too afraid of the 1:3 male to female ratio (not including the priests and homosexuals)? Does the thought of not finding anyone better terrify the wit out of them?

I speak not of not believing in love and commitment and scurrying as fast as your Manolos can take you at the first sign of inconvenience. It is a matter of self-preservation. You just don't let yourself get too attached. You remain prepared to live your life on your own anytime the relationship fails because you did not throw your life away in exchange for his. When he finds someone prettier, more intellectual, sexier, but considerably less smarter than you, you are not left lost and baffled. You don't end up being a pair of overused Spartans.

If it is quite necessary to compare me to slippers, I'd rather it be a pair of Havaianas.


******************************
*.* as if! @ 1:52:00 PM • • RBJ

 


I'll be seeing you. Goodnight.

Find me here:

friendsterated

Palabras Finales

Remember me when you hear this

sleeps with butterflies ~ tori amos



Airplanes take you away again
Are you flying
Above where we live?
Then I look up a glare in my eyes
Are you having regrets about last night?
I'm not but I like rivers that rush in
So then I dove in
Is there trouble ahead
For you the acrobat?
I won't push you unless you have a net


You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don't mind
I don't hold on
To the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl only sleeps with butterflies
With butterflies
So go on and fly then boy


Balloons
Look good from on the ground
I fear with pins and needles around
We may fall then stumble
Upon a carousel
It could take us anywhere

You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don't mind
I don't hold on
To the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl, this girl

You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don't mind
I don't hold on
To the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl only sleeps with butterflies
With butterflies
With butterflies
So go on and fly boy


miss me? spot me here:

be listed

Bury the Hatchet

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

online

This 
page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Who Links Here

®fLoi enjoy 2005©