there's gotta be more to life than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me



If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Don't effin' blame the chef!

Monday, July 18, 2005

If Only...

The tagline goes "What if... life gives you a second chance... to love the one you lost?"

I watched this with Rozl and Francis yesterday. Here's my $ 0.50 worth.

At the end of the movie, I could only think of one thing: the movie is unfair. Spoiler alert! Highlight to read. *wink*

[The movie starts with a typical day for couple Samantha (Jennifer Love Hewitt) and Ian (Paul Nicholls); or so they thought. Ian encounters an odd cab ride where the driver knows certain particulars about Ian and coaxed him into "appreciating" Samantha. At the end of the day, the couple breaks up over dinner, Samantha gets on a cab [the same cab Ian was on] and dies in a car crash. Ian dozes off that night hugging Samantha's diary [There's always someone in a relationship who loves more. God I hope it's not me].
...

Ian, still hugging the diary, awakens the next morning to Samantha saying "Read one word and I'll kill you." He was startled at first but brushed off the previous day as a dream, a deja vu. Little by little, the events in his "dream" followed through. After, finally, catching a pool cue ball with his left hand, he believed the "dream" wasn't a dream at all but a premonition. He looked for Samantha and was firm on giving her the best day of her life since in his premonition, it was her last. The movie concludes with the same scene in the hospital, only this time, instead of Ian weeping on a chair, Samantha was on the bed, bruised and weeping. Ian got in the cab with Samantha and saved her life.
]

Most people would choose to die ahead of their loved one instead of mourning over their loved one's death. It's selfish in a way. Giving up one's life for another IS selfish. Ian confessed it himself. When asked by the cab driver, he answered he could never bear to live without Samantha. This statement alone implies that he would rather be dead than to live without her. Hence, in the end, he died to give Samantha her life. It was almost suicide because he knew the cab would be in a car crash.

The movie is unfair because Ian subjected Samantha to a lifetime of grief and guilt. Samantha would definitely never get over the trauma of the experience. Imagine, you boyfriend giving you the best day of your life and, then, dying at the end of it. Ian didn't tell Samantha that the aweful event of the day was, in fact, her death. She would only think that what Ian saw in his premonition of sorts was his own death.

On the other hand, the movie is anti-chauvinistic. It celebrates feminine strength and power. It shows that womyn are better in dealing with grief. The girl dying is such a tragedy to reverse and makes for an interesting plot while the guy dying makes for a good ending for a movie. It makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

However, I'd give the movie a 9 out of 10. Great script, amazing setting and smooth character execution. It's a movie. It's a film. Watch! Watch!


******************************
*.* as if! @ 11:48:00 AM • • RBJ

 


I'll be seeing you. Goodnight.

Find me here:

friendsterated

Palabras Finales

Remember me when you hear this

sleeps with butterflies ~ tori amos



Airplanes take you away again
Are you flying
Above where we live?
Then I look up a glare in my eyes
Are you having regrets about last night?
I'm not but I like rivers that rush in
So then I dove in
Is there trouble ahead
For you the acrobat?
I won't push you unless you have a net


You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don't mind
I don't hold on
To the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl only sleeps with butterflies
With butterflies
So go on and fly then boy


Balloons
Look good from on the ground
I fear with pins and needles around
We may fall then stumble
Upon a carousel
It could take us anywhere

You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don't mind
I don't hold on
To the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl, this girl

You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time
I don't mind
I don't hold on
To the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl only sleeps with butterflies
With butterflies
With butterflies
So go on and fly boy


miss me? spot me here:

be listed

Bury the Hatchet

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

online

This 
page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Who Links Here

®fLoi enjoy 2005©